Support Worker, Blantyre Housing Support
Vacancy Reference: 5951
37 hours per week, Salary: £16,839 (Pro-rata) (£8.75 per hour)
(Relief/Sessional hours also available)
Sense Scotland has been supporting individuals with communication support needs and/or a physical/learning disability for more than thirty years. We have been supporting individuals to live in their own home and in the way that they choose to live their life with a dedicated team of staff for many years. We currently support individuals throughout North and South Lanarkshire in Airdrie, Blantyre, Rutherglen and East Kilbride and will soon be supporting people to move in to their new homes in other areas of North and South Lanarkshire. This is an excellent opportunity to be part of improving the lives of individuals and joining an established team who will support and challenge each other to provide the best possible service.
You will be part of a team offering 24 hour support to 2 individuals in Blantyre. We are looking to recruit a dedicated person which will be a part time post and will work early, mid and backshifts as required. Rota is over 7 days a week and shifts suit the needs of the people we support. We are looking for a motivated and confident individual who will work in a person centred way to ensure consistent support for each individual. The individuals we support do not communicate through speech so you will be required to work hard to develop and understand how each person communicates and respect their need for routine. Individuals have complex health needs and you will receive full training in understanding the people you will be supporting, and there is a full support plan in place for each individual.
Each individual has their own vehicle which you will be required to drive on their behalf so a driving licence is essential. Personal care and administration of medication is also part of the role. Each individual has their own unique interests which include football, music, walking as well as housework. We will require you to support individuals in their chosen activities and help them develop new activities and relationships where possible.
Sense Scotland has an extensive package of staff training and terms and conditions for staff to support them in their role.
You will receive regular supervision and attend team meetings. You will have peer support by fellow support workers, practitioners, supervisor and registered manager.
For more information on our Blantyre Housing Support Services Click Here
Successful Applicants Must Have:
- Be in a position to gain qualification as determined by the SSSC for registration purposes
- Evidence of core skills in numeracy and literacy.
- SVQ Level 2 (Adults Services) (desirable)
- Food Hygiene certificate (desirable)
- Relevant practical experience. (desirable)
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of current statutory requirements, Care Inspectorate standards, registration requirements and the SSSC Codes of Practice. (desirable)
- IT skills i.e. Microsoft Office and HR database systems.
- Ability to communicate through signing. (desirable)
- Driver (Essential)
Key Responsibilities include:
- Individual’s needs are identified and met in practice in accordance with their Outcome Based Support Plan (OBSP).
- You set and demonstrate good standards of work practice by offering support and on shift coaching to others through example.
- You guide new staff, students and volunteers in providing a welcoming responsive, flexible and integrated service provision that reflects and meets the needs of individual’s and their family.
- The individual’s OBSP is implemented and is updated to reflect any day-to-day changes in their needs, notifying the manager and senior staff of any aspects of support that cause concern or require adjustment.
- You work as part of a rota prepared by senior staff and that you are punctual and fit for work when coming on shift.
- Proper record-keeping, including recording incidents and complaints are maintained and passed to the appropriate manager, as soon as possible.
- You have a good working knowledge of the guidance and the operational handbooks and that you provide the required support to others in applying these into practice.
- Be aware of the responsibilities of individual in relation to their tenancy agreement, where appropriate, and support them to meet these.
- Support people to apply into practice all the principles of safety in the home as agreed with the Registered Manager.
- Support people to apply the principles of healthy eating and personal and household hygiene into their daily living as agreed with the Registered Manager.
- Where an individual shows behaviours that present a challenge to staff you will ensure that all agreed intervention strategies are implemented into practice.
- Where risk assessments are in place you will ensure that the appropriate steps are taken to apply the guidance into practice.
Values and Commitment
Our vision is for the people we work with to live meaningful and independent lives in a world which supports them to achieve their own ambitions.
We work to and are committed to our Core Values. These values are derived from families and enshrine the organisation’s ethos and guide the actions of all staff. Sense Scotland’s values in practice mean we will:
- To be open and honest
- To recognise individual worth
- To build relationships through trust
- To act on the basis of individual aspirations and needs
- To be accountable for our actions
Our service can offer exciting opportunities and a good career path for the right individual. Access to extensive face to face and online training as well as team development will be offered. In return we will need you to be motivated, a good team player, sensitive to the needs of individuals, families and colleagues and come with a positive can do attitude, with a sensible approach to keeping people safe. A willingness to learn and a positive approach to making every day count in the work that we do is essential.
Sense Scotland offers an extensive range of employee benefits including; Ongoing training and development, generous annual leave entitlement, flexible working, family friendly policies, contributory pension scheme, employee assistance programme, cycle to work scheme, death in service benefit and Perkbox membership.
To apply, download the Application Form then email your completed application to: email@example.com quoting reference: 5951, alternatively email us for an application form.